You are working in the flower garden. And suddenly! The speed or strength of the water has fallen. Now, you will surely think –”how to increase water pressure in the garden hose?”.
Well! You can’t scrub a magic lamp and ask the genie to increase the water pressure. There are straightforward ways to solve the problem. This short article consists of the reasons for pressure reduction and ways to improve the strength of water.
Before you go further, you should know a few things first. You should identify the problems first. You may have lots of solutions to increase the pressure from many experts. But very few will tell you the reasons why you are getting less water pressure. So, the first part of this content would be why garden hose is getting less water pressure.
Reasons for Pressure Reduction
- Hose length and diameter: Long hose with full diameter may be one crucial reason. Gardening indeed requires sufficient length’s water tube. But long hose can have frictions which can restrict or reduce the pressure. Wider diameter can put more pressure on water through the exit valve. Maybe this can be the reason why you need more time to water the plants.
- Clogged garden hose: Dirt, mildews, lead, iron, and other contaminants can clog the garden pipe. If you are using the same tube for a long time frequently, it is quite possible to have reduced water pressure.
- Broken garden tap: The outdoor faucet from where you are getting can be another reason. If the tap is broken, it won’t be able to flow water by putting normal pressure. Again, the coupling of hose and faucet may get loosen.
- Leakage: Regularly used garden hose can get leakages, which is not so tough to believe. Extreme heat, repetitive usages, thorns of plants, pebbles and sharp metal like objects on the ground, etc. can leak the hose.
- Water valve: You may have forgotten to turn on the water tap or faucet entirely. Half or improperly turned valve can’t flow water at the same speed as from the primary source.
- Water Demand: If you are living in municipal areas, then there will be a common water source for everyone. There can be some scheduled time for everyone to use water. Thus, it increases the demand for water at that time. If you love to water plants at that time, then possibly water flow won’t be satisfactory.
- Pressure from source: There can be a faulty passage from where the water is coming. Even the water tank is set only a few feet up from the ground level. So, it’s possible you are not getting correct water pressure.
So far, these are the common reasons why garden hose isn’t getting sufficient water pressure while using it. Let’s see how these problems can be solved:
How to Increase
- Check the hose for clogs: You may not have time to clean the water tank as well as the garden hose. So, a tube filled with dirt, debris, minerals has possibly restricted the pressure. It’s your time to have regular maintenance. Clean the water tank first with proper cleaning methods. Then eliminate any tangles or kinks from the hose. Run water from the cleaned tank through the hose. You can also bring the hose and connect to the pressure washer. Run the machine for 30 seconds; all debris will go off.
- Think about hose diameter: Many of us think the small inner diameter of the hose can increase the speed. But actually, it happens oppositely. Usually, you will find many garden pipes with 5/8” or ½.” These hoses can give you enough water pressure to clean the patio, lawn as well as watering the plants. If you choose smaller diameter hose like 7/16”, it won’t give good pressure though you can use it for watering only. The best idea would be selecting a garden hose of ½” or 5/8” diameter.
- Repair the leakage: If you have found any leakage in the hose, try to mend the leakage. You can use duct tape on the leak spot while you switch off the tap. If there are more leakages, it’s better to look for a new one. Avoid coiling the hose unnecessarily. It can lead to leakages.
- Change the faucet: Look for any fault in the water tap. Is it broken? If it is broken, then it’s sure that the yard hose isn’t connected to it properly. The water may sprinkle through the damaged areas. Be sure that the coupling of faucet and hose is in good condition. A loose connection can be another reason for low pressure. If the coupling is not tightened fully, water pressure can be reduced. So, change the faucet with correct couplers.
- Turn on the valve: Go to the place where you have connected the garden hose. Make sure you have turned the valve fully, not partially. This is quite a common issue for most people. We forget to tight or turn on the valve accordingly.
- Use clean water: Garden areas have chances to store contaminants. Even the water resource may get polluted through the contaminants. Water filled with these elements can clog your everyday used garden hose. Keep your garden clean. Also, clean the water tank at least once or twice a month to avoid eventual water pressure drop.
- Change the watering schedule: If lots of people are using the same water source at the exact time, then you won’t be able to spray water as you need. Change the watering schedule when there is a low demand for water. You can water plants in the afternoon to get more pressure.
- Test water pressure: Bring a water pressure tester from the online or nearby hardware store. It will let you know the level of pressure. These testers are easy to get at affordable prices. You can also install a pressure gauge to get instant information. Usually, 40-50 PSI is the ideal pressure for waterfalls. If the tester or gauge shows you less than this, then go for finding the causes.
Tools for increasing pressure
There are a couple of things you can use to boost the pressure of water in a garden hose. These are some of them:
- Submersible pump: You should have the best submersible pump for watering the garden. It can increase water flow, volume, and pressure. Water butt pump can pull water more than 35 liters per hour. You can also use portable pumps to get a more powerful water flow.
- Spray attachments: You don’t need to change anything in this case. Find quality spray attachments like jet-stream featured spray nozzle. It can flow water in a thinner passage with boosted pressure. Besides, these nozzles make watering simple and more natural.
- Water boosters: Water booster is a very efficient tool for gardening. It can attach several hose pipes to a single pump. But it supplies water with the same high pressure. Suppose you want to have a garden fountain, a water booster would be a great asset to you. Water boosters are a bit pricey than spray attachments. Think and decide what you want to use.
It will be an awful decision if you want to leave gardening or the plants alone for the low water pressure. You don’t need to worry about this matter. It takes only a few minutes to find the cause and apply the solutions.
Make a habit of testing pressure regularly. You should not keep your garden undisciplined. Even regular maintenance can keep water pressure functional. Ask professionals if you can’t identify the reasons.
So, you have the idea now about how to increase water pressure in the garden hose.